Welcome to the Home Study Course Support Forum!

4 replies to this topic

#1 Murphy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1160 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:58 PM

Welcome to the online Home Study Course Support Forum, the most cutting edge way to hone your knowledge of Austrian Economics and its related fields.

This is a new feature, and even we are constantly discovering new ways to improve the interface to allow you, the student, to get as much out of this as possible. Over time, the format may evolve to reflect the new emphases, but right now here is my vision of the best way to proceed:

* You should definitely be reading the Home Study Course materials in conjuction with this forum. After all, the questions here are tailored to the HSC. The first student (Rune) naturally posted his answers here, and I responded accordingly. However, as more students join the course, it would probably be redundant to have a long list of very similar responses for each topic. Therefore, my suggestion would be to write your own answers beforehand, then read over what others have posted for each question. Then, post on topics where you still have doubts, or (especially) if you want to challenge the consensus that has developed on a question.

* In the General Issues section, feel free to start new topics that are not directly related to particular HSC questions. Particularly when there are dozens of students enrolled at any given time, this is probably the spot where there will be lively discussion. As Headmaster I would naturally try to steer these discussions, but don't at all feel that I need to oversee everything. It is fine for enrolled students to use this as an area for discussion with other serious students.

* You can always send me a personal message via the Forum. Do this for any concerns or questions you have that you don't want to post publicly, and also if (as may well happen once this gets going) you think I've missed one of your posts and you want me to respond to it.

* Also note that the HSC materials have been collected and posted in one spot (just underneath this forum from the main page).

* Because so many students will be coming and going, I don't think (at least at this point) we should have an official "lesson" that we're covering on any given week. But for those who want the oral exam at the end of the course, you'll definitely want to coordinate with me to come up with a schedule to make sure you work your way through the entire program (or whatever subset you want to be tested on) in the time frame you have in mind.

* There is the option of a live chat. If people are interested in this we can try to come up with a time that is convenient for everyone's schedules. Let me know.

* Finally, please let me know if you have any suggestions for improved interaction. This forum is designed for your learning so don't be shy!

• Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:52 AM

I am very gald to be student in this great institution and join your classes as interested person in Austrian economic
driven by Hayek works such as (The road to serfdom and constitution of liberty).

But i face problem of time management because i work around 7 hours daily so how many hours do you advice me to study ?

#3 Murphy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1160 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:54 PM

View PostMuaiyad, on Aug 26 2007, 11:52 AM, said:

I am very gald to be student in this great institution and join your classes as interested person in Austrian economic
driven by Hayek works such as (The road to serfdom and constitution of liberty).

But i face problem of time management because i work around 7 hours daily so how many hours do you advice me to study ?

Well it's entirely up to you. I would recommend determining how long you are going to be enrolled, then deciding how much of the course you want to get through by the end date, and then calculating how much time you need to devote per day in order to achieve that goal.

I.e. there isn't a single correct answer to your question. It depends on how much you want to get through. I would recommend setting yourself a realistic goal so that you don't get discouraged and then give up completely.

• Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:29 AM

Hi all,

I have just started the course and I am really looking forward to studying Austrian Economics in more detail especially after listening to many of the lecture posted by the Mises Institutes and FEE. I am also doing this course to prepare myself for my Economics course as part of my degree. So far from reading the preview material, it looks like it is filled with the works of Keynes (no surprise to you I am sure!) and I look forward to creating good debate within the class from the knowledge that I will gain from this course.

Regards

Matthew

• Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:53 PM

Good Luck!!

View PostMatthew, on 16 November 2010 - 06:29 AM, said:

Hi all,

I have just started the course and I am really looking forward to studying Austrian Economics in more detail especially after listening to many of the lecture posted by the Mises Institutes and FEE. I am also doing this course to prepare myself for my Economics course as part of my degree. So far from reading the preview material, it looks like it is filled with the works of Keynes (no surprise to you I am sure!) and I look forward to creating good debate within the class from the knowledge that I will gain from this course.

Regards

Matthew

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users